Blockcerts on hyperledger fabric

Alexander,

Thanks for mentioning this new concern. As has been stated before, Blockcerts started with a BTC implementation because it was the only blockchain in existence at the time. Even then, it was appealing for it’s impressive security track record. Blockcerts then expanded to Ethereum due to public demand and interesting programatic possibilities. And philosophically, Blockcerts is positioned to anchor records to any blockchain because it recognizes different preferences will exist and that different technical options will emerge over time.

Now, you have brought up some concerns against the camp that prefers BTC, exactly for it’s security properties and longevity. I think your characterization of BTC as a “honey pot” and “unreliable” is incorrect, in part, because that entire network only has value so long as it remains secure and reliable. Further, the privacy issues are typically more relevant at the application layer, not at the ledger level (in this case).

For those thinking about setting up their own network, like a system of universities, keep in mind this is a very expensive proposition and likely less secure than a public blockchain. Security is directly related to the size of the network, degree of decentralization, and code that has survived the test of time. A new network run by a small network of universities would not achieve parity on any of these metrics anytime soon. In fact, people with that mentality should probably just use a centralized solution.

Your fear of public blockchains sounds much like the fear of the World Wide Web when it was first getting started. For instance, banks set up their own intranets because they didn’t believe they could trust the Internet (public infrastructure). However, it took a while before they realized the entire power of that network arises exactly because the it is shared, and decentralized to a high degree. While there is still a place for intranets, they aren’t transformative.

I think public blockchains are a foundational revolution as profound as the rise of the Web. Yes, it will take time for it to evolve and for people to trust it. Trust is earned over time. And yet, I’m personally optimistic about the value it promises beyond the traditional approaches of central authorities and member-based gatekeepers.

3 Likes