Differences between BlockCerts and OpenTimeStamps?

Hi,

I just learned about Blockcerts and I was doing a little research about the use cases of Blockcerts.

My first question would be. How is this product/service different from OpenTimeStamp?

Thaks,

Hi,

OpenTimeStamps is strictly a time stamping service (a good one!). While Blockcerts also includes time stamping, using the W3C’s Merkle Proof Signature Suite, it includes much more to provide an entire ecosystem for issuing, receiving, viewing, and verifying records. For instance:

• Creating and issuing a native digital record (JSON)
  • A mobile wallet for recipients to generate keys, as well as hold and share their records
  • A universal verifier

The goal isn’t simply to lock a record down at a point in time, it is also to provide recipient ownership of a natively digital record that provides additional convenience for all.

Thanks for you quick response Chris.

• List item You can also generate an .ots file from OpenTimeStamps which contents the information related to the certificate/document

• List item I can see this is an step forward from OTS because it eases the UX

Can you briefly describe how does this works, or point me in the right direction to material where I can learn more about the process?

Is the hashing of the document you are certifiying stored in the Blockchain (Bitcoin blockchain) on an specific Tx? then you point to that Tx forever to verify authenticity comparing the hash stored in the Tx with the one of the copy you currently have?

thanks again.

Introductory information about how Blockcerts works can be found at https://www.blockcerts.orgthe guide covering an overview of how it works, and detailed information being found in the Github repos.

In short, your summary is basically correct. Blockcerts was designed to anchor a hash of signed records to any blockchain. Recipient keys are embedded in these files for ownership. And verification occurs by comparing a generated local hash to the one stored on the blockchain.

1 Like